Monday, May 5, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes...


My 3 year old is nearing 4 years of age! His birthday is in June and he is getting so much wiser in his old age. Tonight he sang me a song that floored me...It goes like this:
What a mighty God we serve.
What a mighty God we serve.
Angels bow before Him.
Da na na adore Him. (He didn't remember this line too well)
What a mighty God we serve!
I can't say why this particular song has had such an impact on me other than the fact that I am struggling with the recent loss of my mother. I had previously written about how ill she was and on April 22, the Lord took her (at the young age of 57) to be with Him. Writing this seems so surreal. I am still picking up the phone to call her only to realize I can't. I am still laughing at jokes and thinking, I can't wait to tell mom that one. It just isn't real yet. People keep asking how I am and I in turn reply, I'm good. I keep saying that the Lord is sustaining me, and I assure you He is. BUT, when Toby sang this song to me in his innocent voice it hit me like a powerful sermon. We DO serve a MIGHTY God! The SAME God that healed the blind, that parted the sea, that walked on water, that brought Lazarus back to life...the very SAME God. I have read Isaiah 40 and Psalm 104 enough times to know we serve a BIG God. He holds the nations like a drop in a bucket. So WHY then is saying I am sad an understatement? I feel alone...like a part of me is missing. I guess it's all part of the mourning process and I hear how depressing I sound. I don't mean to put this out into the world to make everyone sad, or gain sympathy...honest. I just desire to deal with this, and quickly. Whatever can make this process more healthy or less painful...I want to try it. I've heard it said that writing things down is good for the heart, so hear it is. My mother was a WONDERFUL woman. She had a childlike mentality, and literally, wouldn't hurt a fly. She loved unconditionally and it was a good thing because I gave her heck when I was a teenager. She, along with my sister, have become my best friends and I knew her as well as I know myself. She knew me better than I know myself. She was a wonderful Nana! She loved Toby and desired to get to know Bear with all her heart. I thank God for allowing her to be present at his birth and now I thank God for giving her peace and healing her by taking her to be with Him. She is much happier and it DOES comfort me to know that if given the choice, she wouldn't choose to come back. She is healthy now in her beautiful heavenly body. And, I await the day I will meet her there. Until then, I am forever changed and forever humbled by this experience. People say to cherish your loved ones while you have them, and it goes in one ear and out the other. Well, I am getting busy cherishing.
God is still walking me through this season and I am learning. I am taking it all in and will be a better minister because of it. People in Africa deal with loss everyday. I feel so deeply for them and do not claim to relate to them. I can not wait, however, to minister to their innocent hearts stuck in a world wrought with despair.
Praise the Lord for hope in Him! Praise the Lord for 3 year old wisdom! Praise the Lord for life after death!

7 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

Melissa, this touched my heart! Thank you for sharing a part of your mom with us. I can't imagine the pain you are going through. My prayer is that you continue to find Peace (as you "pursue it") and Comfort beyond what we can imagine.
This last year has been such a blessing to me. I have gained a new, lifelong friend. I love you so much!

Michelle Stanphill said...

Melissa,
What sweet words you shared of your mother. My heart hurts for you as you will go through a process of healing but Praise God He will uphold you and will comfort you in time of need. He will answer you in your distress and hear you as you pray. He will fill your emptiness with His abundant joy so that you may lie down and sleep in peace, for He alone keeps you safe. I know you feel depleted spiritually, emotionally and physically. I pray that you will feel His touch of inner strength and that you know how deep His love is for you and your family.

I love you more than sugar!

C:M:W said...

what wonderful words about your mom.... I dont even know what to say back to them. I just want you to know we are praying for you and your family over her in Jasper.

Unknown said...

Melissa,
This morning, I heard a song by Mercy Me...an old song that I used to cling to in dark days and I hadn't heard it in a long time. After I read your post, I knew that my reason for hearing that song this morning was to share it...the lyrics:

Another rainy day
I can't recall having sunshine on my face
All I feel is pain
All I wanna do is walk out of this place
But when I am stuck and I can't move
When I don't know what I should do
When I wonder if I'll ever make it through

I gotta keep singing
I gotta keep praising Your name
Your the one that's keeping my heart beating
I gotta keep singing
I gotta keep praising Your name
That's the only way that I'll find healing

Can I climb up in Your lap
I don't wanna leave
Jesus sing over me
I gotta keep singing

Can I climb up in Your lap
I don't wanna leave
Jesus sing over me
I gotta keep singing

Oh You're everything I need
And I gotta keep singing

Please know that Brant and I are praying for you and your family during this time.

Ashley Williams

Murrell Family said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. It is evident that you are such a devoted daughter (and devoted in every role you play in your family). We are praying for you as you continue to heal and deal with the everyday reminders of the loss of your mom.

Amanda said...

Melissa,
I'm so sorry that you lost your precious mom. I cannot imagine how hard this has been. My heart aches for you! I read somewhere that when Job was going through his whole ordeal, he had no idea what was going on in heaven between God and the enemy. God alone knows why your family has been hit with so much suffering, but I'm thankful that one day you will get to see with your own eyes what was at stake and see the purpose that your suffering served. You will have such a great reward for your faithfulness. I pray that God will sustain you with His grace and comfort in the meantime. I pray that as you miss your sweet mom, God will bless you with an unusually close relationship with your own children. We love you, Melissa!
Love,
Amanda

beckydrake said...

Melissa,
I just clicked on this tonight as you were in my thoughts, I know this Christmas was so very difficult, I looked for my Christmas card from my dear dear friend Bea, and I knew it wasn't coming, but I still looked, I wanted to send one to her as well, so I guess I did, mentally, and then I thought, wow, she is spending Christmas with Jesus this year, I can't think of a better place to spend it with than Heaven, but we still miss her here, because we are yet still human....my moms been gone for 11 years this February 15th, and I still say, I'm ok too......and most days I am but, then others wow..., I'm just not....anyway I love you and wanted to say I'm thinking of you all, and missing my friend, your sweet sweet mamma...i love you sweetie, and will see you soon, love Becky Drake