Tuesday, May 20, 2008

That's what friends are for...

I am making a point to write a normal, non-depressing blog. Balance is healthy! And I count myself fortunate when I examine my life and the ladies I am honored to share it with. I must declare proudly (and somewhat arrogantly) that I have the BEST friends ever known to man.


It starts with my girls from childhood - Britt and Emily. I have had the pleasure of knowing Brittainy for, I'd say, over 20 years now. I remember blazing through the '80s in excellent nerd fashion with that girl. We have since gained a sense of style and full-blown families to boot. Britt has twins that Toby absolutely loves. She is one of the only other women that can make my Toby shake in his boots! She has that boy in check! More power to her! She'll need that firm hand this summer while he is terrorizing her house from 8 to 5! Love you girl!
Then, there's Emily. She expanded me and Britt's dynamic duo and brought some new excitement. Never a dull moment with that girl! She was a wild child through high school and we got into more trouble than I will EVER admit! You'll never get it out of me! Promise Em! Now it's hard to recognize that girl with all her "baggage" - I say that lovingly. Emily has 3 of the most beautiful kids! Man, when did we grow up? It's such fun! And we will have to continue to take trips to the zoo with all the kids! How stinkin' fun was that? What a ride?!

ALL the kids, plus some nephews

Then, we move on to the "college friends" - as Britt likes to refer to them. Dallas Baptist sure did produce some of the best woman! These are the women I am growing old with. We are breeding like the end is near and laughing like we don't care. Every moment with these women is a JOY. Angelique, Cathy and Kassie are my prayer warriers and my strength in hard times - and we have shared many a hard time. We also, however, are able to revert back to teenagedom in less than 60 seconds. It's a proven fact. They are my good balance of common sence, godly wisdom, and just plain fun. I was more of a guys girl before these women. Always thought girls involved entirely too much drama that I wasn't willing to take - then these ladies came along.


Above from L to R: Me, Kassie, Angelique and Cathy


Then there's the fab 10! Yes I said 10! With the 3 girls mentioned above, then throw in a few of our suitemates and some volleyball players and you have the most down to earth, loving, easy-going women I have ever met. Among the 10 of us, we have 14 kids! Yes 14! And I CAN name them all! Not in order of age though. It's humorous actually. No wonder we need girl time! I went from childhood with 2 close friends to adulthood with a whole slew of wonderful women lifting me up daily! I count my blessings for sure.

Above NOT pictured: Lana and Kassie

Not done yet! We can't finish up this blog without acknowledging God's impecable purpose in placing me at this church (where I am the Financial Secretary) in His perfect timing. I am surrounded - and I mean surrounded by wonderful women who are currently my crutches. I am struggling with each day after the loss of my mother, and in every weak moment I see the loving face of sweet Janelle or Melissa or Michelle or Krystal or Jennifer. The list is endless! I am in awe of the warriers I have struggling in prayer for me and crying sincere tears for me and with me. Sweet Janelle and Michelle get an earful on a daily basis and I will always look back on this hard time in my life and remember their sweet words of encouragement. I love these ladies and look forward to sharing many seasons with them.

Above pictured: Krystal, Lib (holding Bear), and Janelle

Above pictured: Krystal, Melissa and I

6 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

Isn't it to early to cry? :-) Thank you so much for these sweet words. It made my day. It amazes me how God never ceases to bring new and deep friendships into my life. I am so thankful! I am so thankful for all the prayers that you have voiced on my behalf as well. I can't imagine my work days without you. They definitely would not be near as fun! I love you!

Murrell Family said...

God has blessed you with good friends because you are a sincere and caring friend. I am so thankful for your friendship. One of the positive things about coming back to work more this summer is getting to have more time with you. Love you!

Michelle said...

hey girl!!! i am so glad that i found your blog! so fun!!! i have always seen your link on melissa's blog but did not realize it was you!
yeah!

cathyr14 said...

Melissa, I have no words that can express the joy God has brought into my heart through your message. I love you so much, and it only grows each time I see you. You inspire me to be a better person, woman in Christ, and mother(one day). I hope that when my world is altered and I an lost in emotion as you are that I am half the woman you have been showing strength, poise and faith such as you.

C:M:W said...

you have such a sweet spirit!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well said.